Sunday, June 3, 2007

Flour and Fond

Technically this is my first post to this, my new food blog. I've pulled in some of the food related posts from my other bog Aufgefallen, and one or two from my very first blog from a trip to Taiwan.

I will start out with an update on future food, my experiment with growing vegetables. I think the last time I attempted to grow veg it was carrots, and I was probably about 8. The carrots were a disappointment, puny and bitter, and convinced me that I did not have a green thumb. Living in the Pacific Northwest has given me hope, seeing as everything I've stuck in the ground seems to flourish.

This is the garden just under a month ago
And this is the garden today

As you can see things are going well for my little 3x5 patch. In fact, bolstered by the success I decided to add a few containers on the side of the house.


I planted a couple heirloom tomato plants, some French Lavender (I'm sure it will take over the pot, but hopefully not until after harvest) and a pepper plant. I also sprinkled in a some lettuce seed, which I am planting in various spots around the yard on two week intervals.

Hopefully all of this will eventually become fodder for recipe posts...

9 comments:

edluv said...

new blog yea!

but, is the old blog dead completely (as in no more posts there)? because, i don't know if i should change your link to this one.

Justin said...

No, no, the old blog will still be updated.

Adam said...

Ok, but seriously, the background change on those first two pics is confusing me. Was there a big trailer parked behind your garden in the first picture?

Monticore said...

What a cool garden I love that you made raised beds

Justin said...

There was a trailer, but my room mate finally sold it. Now the driveway is full of firewood.

I can't claim the raised bed as my own. Liz (whose departure from the house opened a spot for me and turned it into a dude house) is responsible.

In fact several of the lettuce and tomatoes are volunteers from what she planted last year.

Scott and Malisa Johnson said...

Scott built me two large raised beds, I love planting in those much better than the Fresno garden. What types of lettuce did you plant? I made the mistake of planting romaine all at the same time, starting from a seed, and then transfered them outdoors. But come harvest, we couldn't eat them all and much went unused. So sad.

edluv said...

now you have two blogs you don't update.

Fiber said...

Welcome to the world of food blogging! I love the garden!

Leah said...

what ed said. yah.